Thought of the Day

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Science Fiction As A Genre


I have always been fascinated by science fiction. More so than fiction set in normal settings. One aspect of this has always been related to my interest in technology and how stuff works. The futuristic aspects of technology in books as well as popular shows like Star Trek always worked well as far as my attention was concerned.

However, there seems to be an even more important factor - the flexibility that SciFi provides in creating settings. This ability to distort reality from any angle allows the author to bring out the central theme as clearly as possible. Readers of Nightfall by Sir Isaac Asimov will recognize this.


There is also a conundrum about SciFi. I have rarely come across a piece that I find acceptable. I am either quite enthused about what I read or quite disappointed. My first personal attempt at writing (as a young teenager) was also in the same genre; it turned out to be bad enough for me to not attempt again for over two decades. Now that I have begun to write again, I have thought about why SciFi elicits such extreme reactions from me. It seems that in exploiting the flexibility given, we can make good better, but we can also make bad worse.  Some thoughts on this below.


Area


Thumbs Up!


Thumbs Down!

Story A good story line just like any good fiction No story line. A story line confused with a technical paper. A story line which would not work in regular fiction.
Technology / SettingSupports the story and provides a context for itIs the story. Interferes with the storyline.
Philosophy / PointClearly articulated using the story. The context allows for it to come out clearly.No philosophy or point at all. Preachy with the context providing an excuse.

Given that I would like to write some prose, and it will end up being SciFi, I hope the above thoughts will help me avoid staying away from writing for two more decades.

So, as somebody famously said, Engage...

2 comments:

Vinay said...

As a lifelong fan of Science Fiction I would be happy to review your works.
Vinay

Aviral said...

Thanks Vinay. Will definitely take you up on that offer...